Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Good help is hard to find

We were sitting at a friend’s birthday dinner talking about the demanding hours of the morning scone bake and one of his friends was sick of her job so we entertained the possibility of having her take over the position. She called the next day and said she had quit her job so the following week I auditioned her and she seemed to be a good fit. After about a week she was ready to do the bake on her own. I fell quickly into waking up when my body wanted to, which is more like 7 or 8am. I felt fabulous, well rested, and my skin even lost a few wrinkles. It wish she could have stayed with Sugar longer, because even though we had a few miscommunications along the way, it was really great having her help. Eventually, the hours took a toll on her, and it was tricky for her to justify the impact the job made on her life since I didn’t pay her that much. I contemplated not doing the scones, but they still accounted for about 20% of our sales, so we couldn’t just drop them without a backup plan.

No comments: