Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Back in the swing of things

The holiday season was over, as were the slow first few months of the year. It was time to really start kicking into full speed ahead and start a plan to bring Sugar into profitability. I started looking at our costs, briefly, and started to see that we were losing money on labor, and probably losing money on ingredients, both due to the high cost of production. At the time, however, both me and my assistant really liked the science and exploration of developing new products, but we lacked the organization to make our time spent worthwhile. In retrospect, what I should have done is stopped the product development, and instead concentrate on increasing our client base and getting more organized to handle increased production volumes. A lot of what was slowing us down in product development was trying to reach our new target of multiplying our ingredient cost by five. We probably should have raised our prices rather than price based on what we thought the market would bear.

I tried several different tactics to try to get me and my assistant organized, but nothing really seemed to save us any time or reduce any of the stress. After working for a week on my own and finding it was less stressful, I decided it would be easier to let my assistant go. This was a very difficult decision because I really wanted Sugar to grow, and knew that without my assistant the business would sit idle, but I wasn’t ready to handle all the responsibilities of being a manager. I knew I had to stabilize who I was in relation to Sugar by spending a little bit of time producing my own products.

1 comment:

Williams said...

SPY For individual traders, overall liquidity in the major currency pairs is more than sufficient, with generally orderly price movements. Once you learn to master your trading decisions, you can aspire to produce consistent profitable results. But the first ONLINE FOREX trading began in 1994.