Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Fame

I just happened to hear about an article written in the Stranger about pastries in Seattle. The author wrote about how the quality of pastries in coffee shops was terrible, from stale scones to overly sweet mass produced muffins. This hit home for me, since it brought me back to why we started the bakery. Still, we were struggling, and after trying to sell to coffee shops and seeing the response of baked goods in general, we were starting to understand why coffee shop owners would buy preservative laden pastries from Costco. They also have to control their costs. So I wrote a letter to the author, of course accompanied by some brioche, and she interviewed me and then wrote an article about Sugar. It was awesome to have my face in the paper with our Mousse Mountains. Our web site statistics spiked, and our retail sales soared. We had luckily just revamped the site to be more consumer friendly with more photos of our products and ways to order and such. Shortly thereafter, we landed a very important account with Metropolitan Market, which had been one of our goals right from the start. So for as much as I complain about the grueling grind of the bakery, things do have a tendency to fall into place quite serendipitously.

No comments: