Monday, October 15, 2007

the walls are pink

When I said I picked up my APPROVED plans from the health department a few weeks back I think I spoke too soon. I forgot to give the City just one more chance to cause a delay. They decided to misplace the plans for about a week, telling me a different story every time I called, passing me off to bogus supervisors, until finally I called the Mayor's hotline and was put right through to the person who gave my plans to the right person. We could not call for an inspection until we had the approved plans so we were just sitting around in dirt.

So I quickly called for a plumbing inspection on the rough-in (that's the part that's underground). Because my new plumbers rock, we of course were approved and tomorrow we get to put the dirt back in the hole, fill it with concrete, and then lay our tile floor. We were originally going to paint, but then we suspected there might be asbestos leftover from the floor tiles we popped off so instead of getting into abatement and such which could cause further delays, we decided tile was a better option, plus we've done it before and it will be much more durable than any paint would be.

Meanwhile, I've been prepping the walls and painting. The plaster is really sketchy so in some areas I had to roll the paint very lightly so that the wall wouldn't flake off! I think the primer is holding it together. I'll do the other half (the dirt half) later and give my buns a rest from trapsing up and down the ladder to reach the high ceilings.

So the place is really quickly shaping up. When are we opening? Depending on the last remaining possible bottlenecks, the gas install and the ventilation hood install (waiting for permits of course ;) we're hoping for the first week in November. Hard to promise, but we're working out butts off to get open.

2 comments:

Jason said...

I wait for the bus every morning right outside your shop and can't wait for you to open up! Best of luck as you work towards opening at last.

Unknown said...

oh, you bus stop ppl are in for a surprise!

we have some plans.. can't wait to open!
:D

-john