Monday, July 23, 2007

Our First Week

We've begun the process of clearing the decks in the space, removing the old carpeting and the dropped ceilings. We found a secret room in the ceiling where only the walls remain. Hard to describe it in words, but I just like the idea of trying to imagine all the different businesses that have been in the space since it was built in the 1930s. I found an old deflated balloon with "You're Incredible" written on it. I replied back out loud after wiping a bit of sweat from my brow, "Thanks!". Ventilation seems like it might be an issue, so we're going to try to creatively resolve it, but definitely having that extra air space with the 14 feet ceilings is going to help. However, we were doing the work on the muggiest days of the year, so the stuffy observation may be out of context.

So far, the process has been about making sure the contractors I'm working with do what they say they're going to do. A plumber we were excited to use decided not to show up on Saturday. I called him several times, but he just disappeared; probably just fell into the toilet. We've lined up another plumber, and his quote was a quite a bit higher than we budgeted for, but he's Johnny on the spot ready to go, and we've really got to get that part going since the city is changing the grease trap requirements on July 31 so our cost would be substantially higher if we wait. Also the phone installer decided to show up early, so we missed our appointment because we weren't there yet. And the funny thing is we tried all afternoon yesterday to reschedule, but the line was busy. Aren't they the PHONE company???

But we're trying not to let too many of these setbacks get us down and we're trying to keep our eyes on the prize. Installing the gas line is going to be way cheaper than we budgeted for so that was super cool. and another major thing is that I think I may have finally decided on a point of sale system that can integrate with a recipe costing software. All in all things are starting to fall into place.

1 comment:

Patient Petunia said...

YEAH! I'm so excited for you - and well for me, I won't have to trek downtown for some good yummies!