Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Onward and Upward

Well, after much deliberation and almost one month of back and forth negotiations that caused us to question every move we were making, we decided not to pursue that business that was for sale on Pike Street. For the entire time, it was about 50% yes, and 50% no, so it was really difficult. What we knew was that a lot was at stake, and that we didn’t want to risk losing it all.

So, I’ve used one of the three suicide phones from the Golden Gate Bridge to save us from failing. The goal is to have a successful bakery for the next 10 years, and anything that gets in the way of that is against the goal.

What is interesting is that my husband’s cancer scare has made me really understand how short life is and how you have to sieze the moment. This, and I’m turning 40 in two months. But I think I’ve realized that what I want is to do this right, steady, slow. I think I wanted to win in a sense, by having the bakery up and running by the time I am 40, but like my grandmother said, “Life begins at 40, but if you miss that, you can begin at 41.”

No comments: