Saturday, January 5, 2008

Coincidence?

A few weeks after I moved to Seattle to begin my master's degree in photography, somebody broke into my apartment and stole all of my cameras. I spent most of my first year in the program trying to figure out how to rethink my ideas about my work with a plastic camera instead. My work spiraled down quite substantially. I lost my focus, instead shifting into some pretty sloppy ideas that I could never express. I became more interested in reading articles than making work, and by the time my thesis was due, my work was even more uncentered, although nice to look at, the concept and the visual just never seemed to mesh. Perhaps it was losing my cameras so early in the game, perhaps it was the wrong medium. In any case, I'm glad to have found pastry, to which my true artistic vision can be achieved, albeit through some struggles, with usually consistent results.

I started to feel that same panic when I realized my oven would not cooperate. It's currently jumping around between 350 and 500 degrees, and if you know a little bit about baking, that's not a good thing. I burned another two pans of scones this morning, so people, that oven's got to go. Ten years ago, I was a photographer without a camera, and now I'm a baker without a reliable oven. I'm so glad I'm not going to let it get me down.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Steph & John !! I want to take a leave of the spa and come bake with you !! 8) We miss you and hope to see you soon, XXOXO

Bob said...

We visited your shop this past Thursday morning (1/17) and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We've been anxiously awaiting the opening of the shop - we've been driving by every week, watching as the construction progressed, but didn't make it in until yesterday. After we saw the story in the PI last week, we knew that we had to stop in. I'm kind of a "foodie" and I also have cancer (hence the trips past the shop on my way up Madison to Swedish, where your husband was treated). So I felt kind of a double connection - good eats/cancer (OK, the cancer part isn't as much fun, as you are well aware). Anyway, I'm looking forward to working my way through your lineup of baked goods. I'll probably be in most times before I head up to Swedish so that at least I can start the day off on a good note.
See you next Thursday.
-Bob Maimone
http://haydnprong.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

we have an off-topic comment: a couple years ago, we went to your lovely sweetfest. i understand the name will change if it happens, but will something similar happen again??

thank you,
e+j

City Books said...

Stephanie - I couldn't find an email address on your website so I will post here.

City Books is happy to welcome you to the neighborhood. In my latest newsletter I mention your shop and offer a discount to any customer that shows a receipt from you bakery. If you have an email address I will be happy to send you a copy of the newsletter.

Also I link to your bakery on my blog ... Sorry to hear about your oven troubles. Hope they resolve quickly!